Sunday, 27 January 2008
The rapid evolution of technology and time has made us all slaves of softwares. For every little need of ours we seek the help of a software which can save our time as well as energy.
A software is good as long as it is free therefore supporting this slogan I have compiled a list of the most popular freewares of the year 2007 according to their respective category. The list was made using the download and popularity statistics of the free softwares enlisted on Download.com
These freewares are all on based on the Windows OS platform however their other OS versions may be available too.
- Avant Browser - Block pop-up windows and browse multiple sites at once.
- Mozilla Firefox - Surf the Web, block pop-ups, and keep spyware at bay with this lean and fast open-source browser.
- Internet Explorer - Browse the Web with tabs, improved RSS support, and robust security features.
- Netscape Communicator - Browse the Web and more with Netscape’s browser suite.
- Opera - Browse with a multiple-document interface, mouse gestures, keyboard shortcuts, zooming functions, and integrated search.
Digital Media Players
- QuickTime - Play MPEG-4 movies with AAC sound with latest version of Apple’s premier media player.
- Windows Media Player - Play local and streaming multimedia content.
- Sonique - Enjoy your MP3, CD, WAV, MOD, and WMA tracks with superior audio quality and impressive visual effects.
- Winamp - Play and organize a variety of audio and video files, as well as rip and burn CDs.
- AtomixMP3 - Mix MP3s on your computer as you would with conventional turntables.
- AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition - Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Avast! Home Edition - Scan your computer for viruses, worms, and Trojan horses.
- Avira Anti-Virus Personal Edition - Detect and remove more than viruses from your computer.
- PC Tools Anti-Virus Free Edition - Protect your PC from viruses, worms, and Trojans.
- A-Squared - Protect your PC from harmful threats.
- ZoneAlarm Firewall - Protect your Internet connection from hackers and other security breaches.
- Ashampoo Firewall - Set up an effective firewall and prevent unauthorized online activity.
- PC Tools Firewall Plus Free Edition - Deny an unwanted communication between your computer and the network.
- Comodo Firewall Pro - Protect your PC from harmful threats.
- Jetico Personal Firewall - Protect your computer against malicious attacks.
Peer to Peer
- Morpheus - Search multiple P2P networks including BitTorrent to download MP3s, videos, and games.
- Limewire - Search for and download files located in P2P networks and share your files.
- iMesh - Find, download, and share MP3, video, and image files.
- BearShare - Search for and share all kinds of files over the Gnutella network.
- eMule - Search and share files over the eDonkey2000 and Kad P2P networks.
- DivX Player - Create and watch videos in the DivX video format.
- Videora iPod Converter - Convert all types of video to play on your iPod.
- VLC Media Player - Play audio and video files with this cross-platform media player and streaming server.
- PSP Video - Convert all types of video to play on your PSP.
- Windows Movie Maker - Construct home movies from captured digital video on your Windows XP system.
- Download Accelerator Plus - Improve download speeds, resume broken downloads, and find mirror sites.
- FlashGet - Split and manage downloaded files and accelerate downloading speed.
- Free Download Manager - Manage your file downloads.
- Fresh Download - Manage and automate file downloads.
- Download Accelerator Manager - Resume, manage, and recover Internet downloads.
- AOL Active Security Monitor - Evaluate your computer to ensure that your PC and home network are safe from most security threats.
- TweakNow RegCleaner Standard - Remove obsolete entries from your Windows Registry.
- Auslogics Disc Defrag - Defragment your disks and improve computer performance and stability.
- Belarc Advisor - Plug a PC audit into your browser with details on hardware and software.
- SpeedFan - Monitor fan speeds, temperatures, and voltages in computers with hardware monitoring chips.
- PC Inspector File Recovery - Recover lost or damaged files.
- Ranish Partition Manager - Create, delete, and resize partitions.
- Active@ Kill Disk Hard Drive Eraser - Format your hard drive without possibility of data recovery.
- CompuApps SwiffKnife - Create, format, and delete your IDE hard disk drives.
- Xplorer2 Lite - Manage, view, and search files in a tabbed, dual-pane mode.
- How to recall a sent email in Outlook 2003
- How to delay sending or schedule a message in Outlook 2003
- How to run MXIT on your computer
- How to make Windows XP look like Windows Vista
- How to fix 'BOOTMGR is missing' in Windows Vista
- How to disable writing to USB devices in Windows Vista
- How to search Rapidshare for any file
This post was written by: cyberst0rm
Blogging about technology since 2007. Feel free to leave a comment below.