Friday, 17 June 2011
The standard removal of AVG anti virus from your Windows XP/Vista/7 computer is simple. To do, follow the simple steps below:
- Click Start >> Control Panel
- Open Add/Remove Programs (for Windows XP or Programs and Features (for Windows Vista/7)
- Locate AVG Anti Virus in the list and click Remove (This will launch the AVG removal wizard)
However sometimes this process isn't enough. You can run into problems when trying to install a new anti virus program, like Kaspersky for example. An example error is shown below:
Fixing this requires the manual removal of various keys from the Windows registry. The process is simple and is as follows:
- Click Start >> Run
- In the Run box, type regedit and press Enter (This launches Registry Editor)
- Navigate to the following keys and delete them by right clicking each one and clicking Delete:
(for 32 bit Windows installations)
(for 64 bit Windows installations)
- Once these keys have been deleted you should be able to successfully install Kaspersky or any other desired anti virus program.
Download the following AVG removal tools from AVG themselves:
This post was written by: cyberst0rm
Blogging about technology since 2007. Feel free to leave a comment below.